Saturday 17 October 2015

Looking for the positives


POSITIVES FROM A NEGATIVE

Today I heard the phrase 'maybe you'll turn that into a positive' and thought about how powerful that phrase is in our lives to encourage change.

If we all look deeper at the negatives in our lives as a lesson for us to learn from, negatives can actually turn out to be considerably more positive than a standard positive result is.

Not only do negatives give us a greater reference point to aim higher, but going for a positive outcome, can help us to achieve a far better result through the work we have to put in. And because working towards positives gets us to think deeper, we often learn something as a result.

When we talk of negatives, they sometimes originate from positives in the first place. As an example, I'm currently run off my feet today. I am trying to cram everything in to a shorter time frame. Because I worked a full week contracting for someone else, I'm having to be very efficient with my time to fulfil my own objectives today. I'm feeling negative about losing my free time. But I shouldn't see it that way.

The last few months have been busy, but busy in a way that allows lots of 'in-between time'. This relaxed time has been great, but there's been little urgency and this mostly uneventful time has left me with no money as a result. If I've had no work and I'm suddenly too busy to do much else, I shouldn't be negative about the fact I'm really busy right now.

So we actually have a great positive there - I'm not only bringing home the much needed money but I'm also filling my days with lots of things that challenge me. Time feels elastic and days longer. If the personal objectives can still be achieved in a more condensed time frame, then the opportunities for making money and essentially 'saving' time in the process, should also be viewed as a positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment