Tuesday 6 October 2015

Stress Relations


MANIFESTATIONS OF STRESS

Back problems can be a manifestation of stress, called Mind Body Syndrome or TMS. American doctors are now talking more about the symptoms of back pain being originating from psychological issues and there's been a few latching on to the idea now here in the UK too.

Those suffering with chronic back issues, and wishing to avoid surgery (often not required anyway), have been looking inward at any psychological factors that may be causing the symptoms. 

I've been suffering with lower back, neck, shoulder and elbow pain over the last 5 years. I have been scanned, stuck with pins, had electric nerve conduction studies and all kinds of therapies, some of which have been assessed by some long-standing professionals in the field of medicine. Yet no answers from any experts of how to fix these pains. It's just a part of getting old, I've been told or wear & tear and I've been told to just try and manage it as best as I can. 

After reading about TMS studies and learning more info on some on the common findings in individuals suffering from stress related ailments, I have clearly seen parallels in what my symptoms are and seen how my job & working environment plus other life circumstances have affected me psychologically to such a degree that, even after months of rehabilitation, the symptoms still persist. 

Through yoga, Qui Gong, meditation and having a better understanding of myself, including my character type (which appears to suffer the most from this stress syndrome) and hearing about other people's stories, I am much better equipped to deal with the healing process with the new tools I now possess. 

Stress As A Friend?
Stress affects us all. Stress is also good for us. It readies us for challenges and helps us achieve goals. But too much stress can be a killer. Understanding when stress is good and bad, will help us manage our lives better and we'll know when we are over-stressed. 

Everything has a cause & effect, and we are influenced by everything we see, hear, read and believe. Hence, the the idea that stress can be damaging, according to Kelly McGonigal's video below, is actually more harmful than we realise, as we place so much power on words, we feel stress effects psychosomatically even when the stress we are experiencing is normal and healthy for us to better perform. 

No comments:

Post a Comment