Monday 12 October 2015

Back In The Rat Race


THE LURE OF MONEY

Today marks the first day back in the race for me in 7 months. While I never wanted to get back on the corporate wheel,I just can't earn enough money from doing manual work and odd jobs on the side. As much as it pains me, I have to get back on the hamster wheel to earn more money. I wonder now how the majority of low income earners can actually survive in this town, let alone have a good time with what's left of their meagre earnings?

So, my bank account and credit cards are all looking pretty dire at the moment. My mental and physical state has been benefitting from the rest I've had away from the grind, but needs are a must.

So how did my first day go? It was a real eye opener. First of all, the London Underground at 8am is hell and I'd forgotten how bad travel is at that time. It's a terrible way to start anyone's day. Stressed, tired and generally fed up Monday morning commuters all trying to squeeze on to the train at the same time is no fun. How do we do this five days a week? The early starts are much better. 6.30am tube travel is a lot my relaxing, so I'm glad that's going to be my journey time tomorrow and likely for ever more.

The real eye opener was at the place I worked today. I had a similar job back in February. I spent five years at the same place and today highlighted just how bad that other place was in comparison. I felt like I was operating at a snail's pace compared to the speed worked at in the previous establishment. So, although I'd made a decision to opt out of the commercial rat race, I now know it's possible to stay in it. I just need to work at the right places, with the right amount of money and less responsibility. The money that I earned today will be more than I earned all last week. I'm amazed to say this: I'm actually looking forward to working again tomorrow and taking the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment