Tuesday 3 February 2015

Detox Exposed


EXERCISE & DIET

So, the truth is out! Interesting research taken recently says that detox diets and all their supplements are bogus. We're being conned with marketing tricks to get us buying products that do nothing to cleanse the body and purge it of 'toxins'. This is because the body is actually very capable at repairing itself and well equipped for removing any potentially harmful toxins.

This fact will not only upset my partner who loves blowing her earnings on an assortment of 'snake oil' from our local health food shop, but will cheer up all those other people who are needlessly throwing away hard earned money on these so-called 'fixes'.

There's so much noise out there with regards to what's good for you. It seems every week there's some new report to say something we've been taking as a health booster - is actually doing the opposite. Take red wine for instance - one minute it's a health benefit and the next it's not. It's pretty much a given that fresh and unprocessed foods are going to give us a better chance of staying healthy. So we should still focus on eating the foods that are already known to provide the nutrients for better health benefits.

Essentially though, food is just one factor. Good health is maintained by having an all-round healthy lifestyle. Getting quality sleep, avoiding stressful situations whilst being mindful of eating well balanced meals and taking time for regular exercise, are the key factors.

Paleo Diet Working
I said in previous blogs that I'd feedback on the progress. Well, here it is:
Since I've started the Paleo diet just two weeks ago, progress is now easy to see just by looking in the mirror. There's very little body fat showing around my middle any more and the definition is coming though on my chest, shoulders and arms. My legs have slimmed down too. My jeans are feeling baggy around the knees, thighs and backside. I seem to have shed an 'undercoat' of excess bulk. I'm sleeping well, light on my feet, energised and clear headed. I weighed myself today after boxing and I'm back up to a healthier 12st 8lb (down from a heavy original 13st 8lb). That's pretty much my fighting weight. So, a few more weeks of PT, boxing, yoga and a continued focus on my daily quality protein intake, should mean I'll hit the 12st 10lb weight but with stronger muscles and a more defined shape.

This update above, goes to show how well a focussed diet, coupled with regular exercise, can bring such positive results in a very short time frame. Whatever our goals, to stay healthy, we don't need 'detox' supplements. We certainly need to look after ourselves more. But simply monitoring our diet and making time for regular exercise, will be just we need to stay healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment