Tuesday 20 January 2015

Inspiration Overload


AN APPETITE FOR LEARNING

It's getting a little bit crazy in the mornings. Whereas I started the year with a blank mind and let the thoughts manifest on to the virtual page. I'm now having internal conflicts about what to write, when to write, how much to write and I've created a log-jam of new material to read, absorb and use - which I have to do before I can honestly write about the benefits. I need to de-clutter and get some order back!

I'm hungry for learning but I don't have enough time or the right head space to properly absorb all of it in a day. Every time I find another teacher or subject that interests me, I'll stumble upon another and another. There's just so much great stuff to learn.

So, starting from today, I'm going to set aside 2 hours to read, listen and watch my new material. I've added a reminder in my diary and a list of the things I'll be learning. I've allowed a bit of time to take notes after each one - as a way to help absorb the learnings and provide some reference for the content of my next post on them.


Quiet time
It's so easy to get overloaded and stressed by running a business, looking after a family or trying to fit relationship, work, friends, exercise and quality me-time all into one day. You don't need the extra stress from having inspiration overload.

I've started the day with just my blog window open and ended up with 17 tabs of inspiration. I've got over 70 podcasts lined up and 4 new books to read. Consequently, I'm behind on my blog. Today's topic was a subject about something completely different - but I've taken inspiration from what's right in front of my nose instead - having too much information to digest. Reading Paul Brunsun's piece about overload, I've remembered to 'stack' my reference pages out of sight - ready for a later read. A great tool for doing this is Pocket. It bookmarks all your pages into one place. You can add Pocket to Chrome as an extension and assign a keyboard command for even more efficiency.


{pause.}
I've just done something I should be doing more of - ie. taking time to look up. Quiet time and inspiration taken by lifting my gaze away from my laptop and peering straight ahead at the blue sky and view over London today. it's a beautiful crisp day - I'll have to get outside for a walk today too.


Looking out of the window in front of me, reminded me again of Leo Babauta's page from the other day. A reminder to be in the moment, to be present in the here and now, to breathe and be still. It also reminded me of Geoff Thompson's 'Everything is Scripture' podcast - everything I'm now looking at out of my window, is scripture and an inspiration. 

I will go back to these teaching again in the future....but for now, back to a bit of quiet reflection and on to my learning for the day





No comments:

Post a Comment