Monday 19 January 2015

Setting Social Standards


TAKING THE PLUNGE

Today, I'm taking some bold steps out into the world. I'm opening myself up - sharing my content and baring all to see. This is not something I've felt comfortable with before.

I'm a private person and never been a big fan of social sharing platforms - ie. Facebook. There, I've said it. Yes, I confess there's a bit of a mistrust issue at the heart of this statement. I'm sure there's a lot of us out there. I couldn't really see the point of it other than for filling time while waiting for a bus. I also just don't trust it - or myself to use it. I have more productive ways to use my time! Maybe it says something about the type of person I am - or likely this is more of a global phenomena. See the links at the end to get a perspective from younger and older social media perspectives...

I have a handful of close friends that I regularly see and speak to directly and none of these were my friends on Facebook. I realised that my relationship with Facebook was feeding a paranoia I was holding against social media in general and it was stopping me from using it and any of the other alternatives properly. I believe this mistrust underlies something else that I'm masking, which I intend to find out over time.

The internet is a bit of a mess. Let's face it, there's so much going on out there - it's amazing and overwhelming at the same time. There's stuff to make you joyful, struggle to fight back tears or just plain angry - all in the space of minutes! It has the power to move us in many ways. It can make or break your mood/day. So, we need to set limits for its time & usage – I found this nice article this morning on the subject.


Praise where it's due
How many people spend their valuable hours preparing insights into learned life-lessons and blindly sharing them with the world - never receiving any praise for what they've given us? A lot of people I reckon. I'm a big fan of the unsung, faceless hero. I like doing things this way too - giving anonymously. But it's also such a lift, when someone tells you you're amazing - when you've unknowingly helped or done something to inspire others - performed a selfless act or just been doing what you normally do. Your mum is one of those people. When was the last time you contacted her to say how amazing she is? Watch her face light up when you tell her from the heart. Selfless givers or grateful receivers - we can all be be those people.

The web is a place where everyone has a chance to give & teach & inspire others. We're all connected and our actions affect everything and everybody around us. So, name calling, blaming and belittling - it all impacts on us. Every time I read a negative comment/review on someone else's website - whatever it is they've done, good or bad, I'm left feeling for the person that's been hit-up with negativity. It's not even my product, service, story etc. yet I'm affected by it - I feel it. If people were more accountable and took some time to think about the consequences of their words/actions - we'd have a much better society. We know this. We just need to remind ourselves more often.

I'm discovering cool, informative, inspiring stuff and learning so much, every day. I focus on the positive and turn away from the negative. I've made a list of the people that have inspired me - and I'm in the process now of thanking each one of them individually, for passing on their story. I believe there's a moral duty to pass this information on too, hence why I'm overcoming my Facebook and social media phobia.

Moral integrity
The web has a collective of good and bad out there. Everything and anything you could want to find - is there. Diving in and swimming around in the ever-changing virtual world, is like joining a school of fish. It's exciting being a part of this phenomena. I found myself on Reddit for a bit of time yesterday - another place to get lost in for hours at a time, but another great tool for an inspiration fix. I discovered this article about a pizza delivery guy getting a payout, which highlights what can happen when the web gets up on it's moral high ground. Possibly a bit extreme donating $20k but I'd really like to see more of this kind of integrity. People standing up for what they believe in - big brothers/sisters, looking out for the little guy and being able to stop all this unnecessary spiteful and negative abuse (that's exactly what it is).

Be accountable
Be genuine, honest and decent. Give back. Be charitable and good things will come back to you.
I've taken the plunge and come what may, I'll roll with the punches if they come. I also stumbled upon this guy today - James Clear: he's posting some great content for free! And this particular article touches on today's subject - being in the public forum and dealing with haters & critics.
I'll refrain from being negative in posts and strive to maintain my moral integrity going forward.

For any of my bloggs, posts, pages, comments, pictures etc. I can be found at #ffc #ffc2015 #focusforchange @focusforchange On twitter, facebook, google+, tumblr and medium

Heres what the kids and the old fogeys are saying - great articles.

No comments:

Post a Comment