Wednesday 28 January 2015

Going The Extra Mile


INSPIRATION BLOCK

I woke up this morning feeling a bit blank-minded. This isn't something new - I've had this a few times lately. There's been no urge to jump out of bed and write my daily blog and little enthusiasm for getting on my computer in general. Partly it's because I've realised that I do actually need 8 hours sleep every day. Listening to an audiobook on sleep called Night School - it says to sleep when you feel tired and see when you wake without an alarm. So for the last few days, I've tried it - and found that going to bed at 8.30 is gonna lose me a girlfriend and a load of friends. The conclusion - I need 8 hours to perform at my best.

Not having any inspiration is putting a bit of unnecessary strain on myself, taking up the free time in an unproductive way and I've considered staying in bed and skipping the journal altogether at times. I've been dealing with self-doubt and the negative voices - and fighting them back. Pretty much having an even better, more productive day as a result. I don't want to have internal conflicts at 5am, so, I've changed my routine. I now listen to and read something inspirational at night and first thing in the morning, then jot down some notes on things that interest me, I would like to work on or improve in myself. That way, if I'm not immediately inspired to write - I now have a few subjects ready to work on throughout the day. I've got the Blogger app on my iPhone now, which is great. It's perfect for looking at topics for conversation and adding to them when I get those moments of inspiration when I have free time rather than put pressure on myself to finish up posts fist thing in the morning.


Beyond The Finish Line
So it's one of those mornings when I'm feeling a little lacking in what to write - I've just listened to one of Robin Sharma's podcasts about the 'last mile' theory. This talks about not only putting the effort in early on - but carrying on performing at a high level right through to the end. So, I've started this blog and made some promises to myself. I mean to go on as I've started. I've just re-read some of my earlier posts and I can see when the enthusiasm was at a high. We can't perform at 100% all the time but we should aim to have maximum output as much as we can. I believe another good practice for success is to actually aim past the finish line - as the 100m sprinters do, focussing on 10m past the line to stay at peak performance that bit longer. Giving 110% over time is how we make the biggest imrovements. I've been doing this with my rowing warm-ups. It's really tough starting off a work-out with 3x6o second sprints - aiming for a peak level target on each with just 30 seconds recovery in between. It's uncomfortable and I'm doubting myself all the way through, but I've managed to win myself over every time and finish within the target. I constantly amaze myself how effective this technique is and how we're capable of pushing our limits. This is great in sport and will be sure to apply this method in other areas in my life too.

One more point on diets:
Another diet that I'm willing to try at a later date - is the 4 day fast. I've been watching a really informative documentary on the benefits of reducing calorie intakes this morning. This documentary, -'Eat, Fast and Live Longer' is available for a year to watch on iPlayer. Here's some further information on the fasting benefits for prolonging a healthier and longer life.

No comments:

Post a Comment