Thursday 1 January 2015

Jan 1st And A 5am Mantra...


HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!


This is how I will start and intend to maintain my mindset for 2015....Happy.
Not just a smiley, be nice to people and easy to be around kinda thing, but a truthful, focused and progressive approach to being happy. Sitting here in front of a computer at 5am on the 1st of Jan – writing these words down – fresh thoughts from a stilled mind – this seems the best way for me to hold a mirror up to my face. Writing a kind of diary – a cemented honesty of my feelings for the present state of mind – will be a definitive way to mark my progress from this day forward. This way, I can look myself squarely in the eye and say I've done my best to improve my life path. If these words are merely vapour trails of thoughts from the past then I'll be sitting here 1st Jan 2016 in the same (or worse) situation. Things need to change.

Here's where I currently stand on the things that currently have a negative affect on my mind set:

Health. I'm currently 4-5 kilos or 3/4 of a stone heavier than I should be and I've got a couple of injuries that will get worse if left as they are. This should all be addressed and maintained by keeping a regular exercise routine and by doing some physiotherapy. I'll post some before and after pictures to mark progress on physique improvements.

Wealth. This is not good! I earn a decent salary, but there''s been far too much spent on house, car and going out/away on holiday over last 5 years. I'm in debt at the moment. Also there's a £30k tax rebate that HMRC have been hounding me for – so that's a bit of a dark cloud to sit under. This could be slowly chipped away at for years or I could look at making extra money to clear it faster. I'll keep a tally of how much I'm clearing every month – the no drinking rule for Jan (longer if I can) will help me stay on top of things.

Career. Could always be better. I'm still working 40+hrs a week in an environment which is going to eat away at the first word on this blog over time unless I do something about it soon. Not to say it's a bad office - because it's great and the people are nice generally - but it's not a place I can really be myself in...I'm sure there's a lot of people having this same issue and possibly know they can fix this one quite easily by getting another job – but after 20 years of making stuff look nice to help sell more stuff, what I really want to do is change my output. The best achievements I can recall for 2014 were talking with kids about making their future career plans and taking on a few challenging charity events. Generally, helping youngsters and giving back are on my todo list for 2015. I'll work on what tools I have on hand already – and see what I need to learn in order to make a change at some point down the line but for the mean time, find some viable outlets to better express myself in, to get that swagger back in my step.

This blog is for me btw – it's a tool to mark my progress and make a commitment to improve the status quo. I'm not making any deadlines just yet but there will be some progress milestones along the way. I'll check back in tomorrow with an update on how the first day of the year has gone...

No comments:

Post a Comment