Tuesday 17 November 2015

Strengthen Weakness to Maximise Strength


AMBIDEXTROUS TRAINING

Being right handed has meant that certain tasks, repeated so many times over the years, have become automatic - ingrained in me as my second nature. This repetitive usage has also worn joints, strained ligaments and created imbalances in my body. 

Playing To Our Strengths?
It's easy to continue doing the long established and therefore most effective ways of doing things. But by doing so, we neglect other methods and ways of performing and the parts of us being unused will become even more ineffective if they are not given any opportunity to improve.

Some will say playing to their strengths is where we need to focus our efforts. However, I truly believe that strengthening our weaknesses will maximise our overall strengths. This thinking can be applied to all areas of our life. This is particularly true of the transactional interplay in the workplace. 

I am currently in a position where I can observe the working practices from another perspective. Being the hired resource, whereas previously, I was the management, I now find it very interesting seeing how other people deal with similar situations I was facing up until just recently. I can see the frustration a poor manager faced by reading the confessions on his blog post. Trying to improve obvious weaknesses in his case, caused distress for him and the others he worked with and it's brave for him to admit his failings.

True - I may have required far more patience than I had on tap and there were times when I could have used better/alternative methods for dealing with tricky people and situations - but ultimately, learning these skills would have helped me get the best out of people. So I will continue to observe these skills in others and strengthen my weaknesses.

Switch Things Around
Today, I am typing this post from my iPhone with my left hand whilst using my weaker right eye to read and check everything is being written/spelt correctly. It's not as fast or as accurate as the dominant hand/eye but in just the time it's taken to compose this short post, the right eye has switched on, becoming more focussed, plus the left hand is already gaining speed/dexterity with every line typed. 

It's worth trying to switch round other tasks that we do a lot of, like using a knife and fork or a computer mouse and see if we can strengthen the weaker sides. Giving the other half a chance to improve at the same time as giving the dominant side a break, can help re-align our bodies and reduce the chances of getting RSI. 

No comments:

Post a Comment