Saturday 21 November 2015

Chinese medicine


TURNING EAST

Once again, I'm turning to Eastern forms of medicine to alleviate the symptoms causing distress. 

The nerves were getting so bad this week (understandable with the pressures I'm under at the moment), that I was necking the painkillers. And there's only so many ibuprofen one can safely take and so much they can do to benefit my situation, so I had to look for alternatives. The meditation and daily yoga is greatly helping me, but by Thursday, I was actually starting to 'vibrate' with jangly nerves which was probably being worsened by excessive yoga stretching.

Luckily, I managed to find a Chinese treatment centre in Kensington. The doctor did the compulsory checking of my tongue/pulse and after listening to my description of the problem, got me to lie face down in a darkened room with multiple pins stuck in my back and arms, where I happily snoozed for 30 minutes. After the acupuncture session, the charming young lady on reception, convinced me to buy some fairly pricey tea. 

I have to say, even though I have had positive results from acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine in the past, I still reserve some scepticism towards the benefits of what has been portrayed through scientific research as 'quakery'. Yet, I should have more faith in the healing abilities, as the symptoms do seem to have reduced somewhat today and the tea, a remedy for improving circulation, expensive as it seemed to me for a cuppa....has helped. 

So, applying the modern-world medicines/practices along with the ancient-world remedies/practices - coupled with the learnings of mindfulness, meditation, Qi Gong and Yoga, I really should be able to fix these ailments for good. The desire to heal and the power of my mind to be a part of this process, will likely be the key factor in determining a successful outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment