Sunday 8 March 2015

Thirst Quencher


PURELY WATER

Water - the simple, single most important ingredient to improve your health. It's so simple yet, we don't drink enough of it. It's the same for me - even though I'm aware of the benefits, I have to constantly remind myself to drink throughout the day. If I'm feeling a bit tired, water is the key. Stomach ache? Water again. So, why do we struggle to drink it - and why is it often as an after-thought? As a rule, I'll have a glass of warm water with lemon juice in it every morning. I'll have another glass with my breakfast and if I'm riding to work or getting the tube, another glass before I leave the house. That's 3/4 Litre just in the morning. Throughout the day I'll drink 2-3 more in the morning and another before lunch. These tactical glasses of water not only get me up and moving around - give me a break from the computer screen and fill me up so I skip going fro an 11 o'clock snack and have a smaller meal at lunch. Drinking water throughout the afternoon also helps keep the hunger pangs at bay and keeps the mind focussed better and for longer than if you opt for a quick caffeine or sugar fix - which will give a temp boost but leave you with a lull after.

Keep a bottle on hand. I like to have a 1L re-usable plastic bottle that I fill twice a day - pouring into a smaller glass makes it less of a mission to get through.


Save Money And The Environment
Drink from the tap. Don't like the taste? Add a slice of lemon, cucumber or get these great sugar free Nuun hydration tablets. Not only are they really great for re-hydrating post workout, they are also a calorie-free alternative to expensive sugary pub drinks when you're out with friends - just get a pint of water with ice and drop in the tab! They have a great range of different flavours to try.

There's no evidence to show drinking bottled mineral or spring water is any better for you - and we're also contributing to the landfill problem by buying so many plastic bottles. But it can be inconvenient getting water from a tap, so bottled is the way to go. I've bought myself a couple of these - and keep one in my pocket so I can always have water on hand - I feel much better using this than buying and throwing away plastic bottle all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment