Sunday 1 March 2015

Injustice


SPEAK UP!

There's so much injustice all around us. Horrible things going on right now in another part of the world that we are allowing to happen by not speaking up. Looking at some of the footage from the war crimes in Iraq, committed by American military - atrocities that the US Government have tried to cover up and hearing about some of the terrible abuses of women in Pakistan - stoned to death for 'bringing dishonour' on their families, we can see where abuses of power and ignorance are creating much misery. We need to do more about it.

There's also stories closer to home about abuse of power, corruption and greed and this is in a seemingly developed nation in time of peace. But we haven't advanced much as human beings if you look at all the misery and suffering in the world. With all the knowledge and technology available to us in this modern age, why do we still have:

– Poverty
– Starvation
– Gender in-equality
– Mistreatment of the elderly
– Orphans
– Racism
– Physical & mental abuse
– Sex trafficking
– War
– Abuses of power

Apathy, plus a general lack of concern or empathy towards others appear to be at the heart of it. There's so many people walking around like the 'living dead', not even in charge of their own lives. All seemingly in too much of a rush to stop and think. People are turning a blind eye because we're all too busy, caught up in our own affairs to really care about others. Surely, if we took the time to look up - we'd 'see' an easier way for us all to live happier lives. It just takes more of us to come away from doing pointless and selfish actions to use our minds for the greater good so we can rid the world from all of this injustice.

An Analysed life
Epicurus believed that all we needed for a life of happiness, were three things: friends, freedom and an analysed life. So here I am in the alps with 7 friends, gliding down a mountain with the sun in my face, taking it all in and being grateful for what I have. Life is sweet. I'd say Epicurus was right - but without good health and some money, it becomes difficult to have this kind of life. This moment is a true luxury for me and I'm aware how fortunate I am to have been brought up in a time, country and loving family, which has given me this opportunity to enjoy life so much. When I come back from this trip, I'm going to make sure I'm giving some more of my time and money over to charity - so I can do some part to help someone else have a moment of happiness too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment