Friday 11 September 2015

Punch Drunk


BEER WORKOUTS

It's tough getting out of bed after having a boozy late night and it's even tougher when you have to get up at dawn to put yourself through a gruelling hour of boxing training. 

Performance Enhancer
I was still very much intoxicated even at the end of the 1hr session today, but as I skipped, punched and performed a strengthening circuit of squats, press-ups and Russian twists this morning, I realised my alcohol sugars were giving me a great source of energy. I was fast, with little fatigue after 6 x 3 minute intense rounds of pad work and able to do 50 continuous press-ups without getting pumped. In short, I felt great!

The Tour de France cyclists used to drink alcohol to numb themselves to the pain of going up the many mountains before it was banned as a performance enhancer. 

So the next time you struggle to get up after a late boozy night, the sensible thing is to get down the gym, go for a run, cycle or do some cardio workout, because the sugars in our bodies are better spent on doing some exercise - plus, it's a double win because we'll all feel better after sweating out the excess from the night before too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment