Tuesday 11 August 2015

Low-Brow Working


ODD JOB MAN

There's something quite liberating about being a grunt. By that term, I mean somebody who does the heavy lifting, digging and general manual labour. You don't need to think much, it's a good physical workout and the pint at the end of the day tastes that much sweeter when you're finished too. 

Having been stuck in an office for many years, it's nice to know that I'm going to be outside a bit more. I've been mostly wearing shorts for the summer and I don't wish to go back into an air-conditioned office and plonked in front of a screen 10 hours a day. Needless to say, I will still be doing some of the work on a computer but will happily factor in some digging & carrying into my new portfolio way of working. 

I recall some years back - between jobs, when I worked for a landscape gardening company over the summer. It was great being up early, outside in nature, watching the bids take the worms from my newly-turned soil. It was a happy time away from the corporate life. And so, I relish utilising the time I have at the end of the summer to get some hard earned beers in after a an honest day's graft once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment