Wednesday 12 August 2015

Charity Bargains


GIVE AND RECEIVE

Buying clothes from the second hand shop has completely lost the stigma it had from when I was at school. The stick we'd get from the bullies once they suspected we had on a hand-me-down, was enough to get a reputation for being somewhat of a lower classed citizen. Kids can be so cruel.

Through the college years it became a right of passage to wear charity shop attire. It was expected that everything worn had to be quirky cool clothing from a charity shop. But then a decent wage packet came along and suddenly second hand clothing was eradicated from the wardrobe.

With all the cheap clothing now clogging up the high street stores, likely produced unethically in poorer countries, it seems we're already making more stuff than we actually need. Adding to the fact that I'm bringing in very little money at the moment, I've made a pact to only buy from charity shops.

I like the idea that I'm giving to charity at the same time as treating myself. Today I bought four items that will serve me well. I was just looking for a pair of shorts, but in my search, found a hoody, vest, bag and shorts - all for just £22! There was a really nice shirt and a jacket which would have added another £14.50 to the total, but unfortunately, they were both a bit too small. Still, this shop Fara has so much great stuff that looks as new, for under a fiver, why go anywhere else?!

No comments:

Post a Comment