Friday 7 August 2015

Taking A Review Of The Positives


A QUESTION OF PERSONAL TASTES

We all have different tastes in what we like and don't like. For certain open minded people (myself included), trying and experiencing new and different things in life is what's enjoyable and doing the same boring thing all the time, not much fun and hence not enjoyable.

On the whole enjoyment scale, there's many shades of grey. For others who have definite tastes, this means their preferences are very black and white. They either like something or they don't - ie, they have very distinct opinions of things that can make them happy and equally make them unhappy....sometimes even really angry. 

I appreciate that there are certain activities or foods etc. that can bring about feelings of great pleasure but I find it so strange that someone can strongly dislike certain things in their life to the point of rage. We're not talking about injustice or corruption here, we're talking about not replacing the soap or the loo roll in the hotel loos and then to tell everyone else about their long whiney opinions via the internet....it all seems such a waste of valuable time.

Yet, if you read through reviews on sites like Trip Advisor, you can see there's hoards of people expending their time - dragging out their misery even further by leaving long negative reviews - mostly on such trivial matters that it boggles the mind at how these people can enjoy anything at all. Why do they do it and do they realise that nobody really cares? We ideally need a filter to switch off all these types of reviewers so we can read the most helpful of reviews.

Thing is....I really like Trip Advisor, mostly because I can read these sad reviews. Although they offer nothing to me for making a decision on staying at a particular place or not, they are entertaining. And, the madder they are, the better it makes me feel about my own judgements and general positive outlook. I know I shouldn't laugh at some of the ridiculous reviews that people write up on their miserable holiday and I really wish I could help them to see how ridiculous they are being about their loo roll not being replaced, but it seems some people thrive on finding problems with even the greatest things in life.

Visiting some of my quirky and most favourite places a couple of weekends ago, I couldn't help but get swept up in some of these miserable people's lives and get dragged down for a while myself. Thankfully, I was able to move to a spot out of earshot and it was there in that moment that I realised how poor a lot of people's lives are. Having one of the most idyllic views in the UK on a beautiful sunny summer's day, with a cold beverage in my hand and the girl I love at my side, I pulled myself back through after being subjected to the negative energy around me.

It struck me at that moment, that I have a duty to speak up for the sane. I just had to put my first review on Trip Advisor to counter the negative reviews. I now vouch to do more positive reviews - giving credit where it's due - to counter the bad reviews, so others may benefit from hearing how a positive life experience should be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment