Wednesday 29 July 2015

Spirit Guides


POWER ANIMAL


For thousands of years, human beings have been on the quest to understand and discover the meaning of life. We've been looking to the stars, searching inside though the practice of meditation, following religious teachings and some seek their answers to life from palm readings or in the tea leaves.

This weekend I was with a friend who's taken a Shamanic course. Being a very spiritual type herself, I thought this particular course suited her well. I was also intrigued to learn more about this ancient practice and how it's ideas could help those who seem lost without any 'spiritual' guidance in modern society. 

Many cultures throughout time have had spiritual 'holy men', 'witch doctors' or 'Shaman' who are recognised to have a closer connection to a spirit world. A place of dreams where only these select few can interpret the strange goings on that most cannot find logical explanations for.

We tend to go to our GP or talk with friends and family about ailments, job issues, relationship concerns etc. but with a predominantly secular society in the UK, who can we go to for more spiritual help, guidance and soul healing. Maybe that is the reason why so many corners of London are now occupied by megaphone toting evangelical maniacs or leaflet/magazine pushers from all the major religions. It's likely that they're finding more and more lost souls. 

Spirit Guides
What I really liked about my first shamanic experience was that I got to meet up with my spirit guide. Whether it really was just my imagination making up the orange and blue snake that I talked with or there was some portal being opened up to me, the idea that I had a spirit guide creature looking out for me, left me feeling more secure and hopeful.

The dogma of organised religion has no appeal for me at all and so, like many others, I have my own very personal agnostic version of what spirituality means to me. And the idea of having someone who is very spiritually connected - a modern day Shamanic guide, being able to assist us on our journey through life - just as they have done in many other non-western cultures for millennia, does have an appeal for me. I can see this trend picking up more, maybe even becoming more integrated with the practice of Yoga, Qi Gong and other martial arts as a way to bring spirit, mind and body back into equilibrium. 

No comments:

Post a Comment