Sunday 19 July 2015

Lessons in Survival


ALWAYS PREPARED

Being able to survive away from a city life should be something everyone has available to draw on in a time of need. Taking trips with the scouts or girl guides as a child are the first-step foundations for self-survival. I for one, loved making a camp, finding the right wood to make a fire and being able to live outside in a leaf bivvy should the need arise. These skills can be some of the best a 13 year old boy will learn for bolstering self confidence later in life. I fondly remember watching a programme with Lofty Wiseman and Peter Duncan where they survived eating insects and it inspired me to take a course in survival many years later. I always have a copy of the SAS survival handbook to hand on a camping trip even today!



It's interesting to see more families taking an interest in sustainable living and watching this reality TV show about escaping to the wild was an inspiration for me to brush up on the skills I learned at our most famous head scout Ray Mears', Bushman Survival week a few years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment