Wednesday 20 May 2015

Another Perspective



PUT YOURSELF IN ANOTHER'S SHOES

I had a role reversal yesterday. I was the one trying to fit in, impress without seeming too cocky but confident at the same time - trying not to step out of line or be too familiar, so I could be asked back again and be included in the gang. It was not intended that I take a role reversal, but here I am with the boot on the other foot so to speak. I've taken a lesson from it all the same as I see a bit of myself in this other personality that I have to please. 

First Impressions
Being in charge. It's difficult getting the balance right - trying to give off a level of authority in a friendly, approachable way so as not to seem rude, condescending or too demanding. The same goes for the other person. Taking on the opposite role of someone running the show can be useful. It usually comes down to those very first impressions, so it's important to get this bit right at the start. Sometimes though, no matter what you do, there is just no winning that person over and it's often just down to a misunderstanding or clash of personalities.

Being able to put yourself in a position to look at things from a different perspective, will enable you to see how tricky it is to fit in and succeed in some environments. A smart way to win people over is to understand their personality types. If you can identify their stress points and play to their needs and desires - people will be a lot easier to please and win over.

No comments:

Post a Comment